The training modules are designed to connect with labor relations goals such as the following:
- To enhance labor relations skills
- To enhance individual effectiveness in handling labor relations issues
- To enhance overall employee relations effectiveness
Prospective trainee participants include the organization’s managers and team leaders. In addition, SCSU will include a separate hour-long overview of each training module for company executives prior to the start of each module. This reinforces the value of each training module and garners buy-in from leadership that will help to encourage discussion with direct reports.
The University team conducts a needs assessment with the organization’s leadership team, to identify the core topics that will serve as the foundation for the Labor Relations Training program. Examples of core topics include:
- Supervising in a Union Environment
- Managing Problem Employees and Employees with Problems
- Effective Employee Discipline Techniques
- Documentation of Employee Discipline
- Managing the Unsatisfactory Performer
- Handling Grievances and Avoiding Arbitration
Between training sessions, participants are expected to use the techniques learned in each session and faculty provide handouts and exercises that connect to each of the training sessions and provide guidance for participants.